What are the benefits (or harms) of green tea?

People say and write a lot about the benefits of green tea. Is it really that useful? /or harmful instead? Please I really want to know. Thanks.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the benefits, but I can tell you how to get the most out of this drink.

This is a scientific study in the journal: Journal of Food Composition and Analysis
Research Gate Journal on Green Tea
The scientist measured the level of catechin, caffeine and theanine, after brewing in various ways.
The best option for brewing (to obtain the most useful properties) is this:

• Pour boiling water into a cup with a tea bag.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Heat the cup in the microwave for a minute.

This also applies to loose tea and tea bags.

Please read more about this from the linked article.

3 Likes

The benefits of green tea

Weight loss: Green tea boosts metabolism. The polyphenol found in green tea oxidizes fats and increases the speed with which the body turns food into calories.

Diabetes: Green tea helps regulate glucose levels by slowing the growth of blood sugar levels after meals. This can prevent a high risk of insulin.

Heart disease: Scientists believe that green tea works on the lining of blood vessels, helping to keep them relaxed and better resist changes in blood pressure. It can also protect against blood clots, which are the main cause of heart attacks.

Esophageal carcinoma: This can reduce the risk of esophageal cancer, but it is also widely believed that tea kills cancer cells without damaging the healthy tissue around them.

Cholesterol: Green tea lowers bad blood cholesterol and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.

Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases: They say that it prevents the deterioration caused by Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Studies in mice have shown that green tea protects brain cells and repairs damaged cells.

Tooth decay: Studies show that the chemical antioxidant “catechins” in tea can destroy the bacteria and viruses that cause throat infections, tooth decay, and other dental problems.

Blood pressure: Regular consumption of green tea is believed to reduce the risk of high blood pressure.

Depression: L-Theanine is an amino acid found in tea leaves. It is this substance that provides a calming effect.

Antiviral and antibacterial effect: Tea is a powerful antibacterial and antiviral drug that can help treat many diseases (from flu to cancer).

Skin care: Green tea, apparently, can also help with wrinkles and aging, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Animal and human studies have shown that topical green tea can reduce skin damage from the sun.

How much of the green tea do you have to drink?

The reality is that one cup of tea per day will not do you any good. Some say you need to drink two cups a day, while others say five cups. In any case, excessive consumption of tea is not particularly useful. Remember: Excess of everything is bad!

My two cents.

3 Likes

All replies talking about the benefits of green tea. But I found a study showing the possible harm of tea; in general, and applies to green tea too, especially as @encyclopedia said:

1. Hot tea can cause bleeding
  2. Too strong tea destroys teeth and bones
  3. Tea May Contain Heavy Metals
  4. Tea is sometimes bad for the liver (herbal)
  5. Drinking tea after meals can lead to iron deficiency.

Source: :point_down:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your nice replies. I’ve taken enough notes from what you all wrote here and went through them myself, checking different sources on the internet and confirmed what you all wrote especially the ones that contained links to prove their sources. Thank you again.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m late. But maybe this can add to the discussion.

The history of green tea began with Lu Yu’s book, The Classic of Tea, written in the 760s AD. I like to watch how twisted dry leaves of tea thrown into a tea cup slowly open, filled with hot water. Brewing green is a sacred process for making tea from leaves and hot water. For 2 grams of tea, 100 ml of water or one teaspoon is filled with 150 ml of water. Water temperature should vary from 61 to 87C. Time - from 30 seconds to three minutes. No sachets. Loose green tea.

Generally, poor quality green tea requires hotter water and longer brewing times. Quality tea should be brewed several times in hot water. Pre-rinse the cup with hot water. Then put the tea. Pour with a small amount of water, after a couple of minutes add more water and more. Top-quality tea is considered to be a gyokuro variety.

Green tea extracts, which are sold in capsules or tablets, are toxic and can damage the liver. (“Green Tea” LiverTox: Clinical and Research Information on Drug-Induced Liver Injury. National Institutes of Health.)

Speaking about the benefits of green tea, it is important to know how tea is grown and how it is processed. After all, it was high-quality tea, and not from tea bags, that was subjected to comprehensive research.

Green tea is grown in two ways: in the sun and in the shade. 3 crops are harvested per year. Sometimes four, in early spring. Tea of ​​the highest and most expensive quality is made from such tea. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the date of harvest. The leaves are dried in an oven, constantly turning. Or a couple. Processed green peanut teas are stored in a refrigerator with low humidity in 30- or 60-kg paper bags at a temperature of 0–5 ° C. Leaves in this condition will be re-fired during the year as necessary, which will give green tea a longer shelf life and better taste.

Doctors sing praises of green tea, its incredible health benefits: against diabetes, heart disease, lowers cholesterol, helps to reduce weight, etc.

But few people know that green tea is incompatible with many drugs. However, like all herbal teas without exception. Of course, it is tempting to say that I only drink herbal teas, I pick, dry and brew it myself. But this does not mean that drinking such tea is useful to everyone, without exception.

Drug incompatibility

Green tea is by no means compatible with drugs, alcohol or drugs for depression.

So, for example, if the doctor prescribed a heart test, it is best not to drink tea 24 hours before the test.

Some antibiotics may decrease the rate of caffeine breakdown by the body. Taking these antibiotics together with green tea may increase the risk of side effects, including nervousness, headache, heart palpitations, and other side effects. These are ciprofloxacin (cipro), enoxacin, norfloxacin, sparfloxacin, trovafloxacin and grefafloxacin.

You can not drink green tea if you take birth control pills. Taking green tea with these pills can cause nervousness, headache, heart palpitations, and other side effects.

You can not drink green tea and at the same time take pills that slow down blood coagulation. Taking certain diabetes drugs with green tea may decrease the effectiveness of diabetes drugs.

Green tea is an absolute benefit if you drink real tea, be able to brew and check your first aid kit.

Culled from the Internet

3 Likes

According to Chinese scientists, the love of green tea helps to improve health and prolong life. After analyzing the data of a long-term study, they found that lovers of this drink are less likely to suffer from cardiovascular ailments. They also showed a longer life expectancy.

It is assumed that the positive effect of regular tea consumption is provided by polyphenols, which are unable to accumulate in the human body. Green tea is especially rich in these substances. Scientists recommend drinking a fragrant drink at least three times a week.

1 Like

The love of green tea? Not the actual drinking of it? Bros, abeg do the needful :smile:

2 Likes

Of course, that was what I meant. I’m sure you got the gist but you just want to be a pest. Please don’t cause mischief again this early Tuesday morning. Lagos is hard enough jor :wink:

2 Likes

:smile::smile::smile:
Don’t mind me jare. Una wey dey Lagos dey suffer mental breakdown already. I don forget. How every every? Please PM me let’s continue with the stuff we’re deliberating on. :pray:

1 Like